Under the leadership of Melissa Hopkins, Chief Building Official, the Building Services Department is responsible for the issuance of building permits both residential and commercial, new construction and renovations. The department is also tasked with conducting field inspections throughout the construction process to verify code compliance.
Note: If you are requesting a next day inspection, you must contact the Building Services office, no later than, 3:00 PM the business day prior to the date requested.
To ensure the protection of life, health and property which we regard as a solemn responsibility.
To be ever-mindful of the needs of the community and to serve the citizens and other customers with the highest degree of professionalism, courtesy and resourcefulness.
Building Code Requirements
All construction in Dorchester County must comply with all applicable building code requirements as outlined below:
- 2018 International Building Code, January 1, 2020
- 2018 International Fire Code, January 1, 2020
- 2018 International Plumbing Code, January 1, 2020
- 2018 International Mechanical Code, January 1, 2020
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code, January 1, 2020
- 2017 National Electric Code, July 1, 2016
- 2018 International Residential Code, January 1, 2020
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code, January 1, 2016
- 2018 International Existing Building Code, January 1, 2020