Out of State Tags (OOST)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Report Out of State Tags

Please use the provided link to anonymously Report Out of State Tags.

Who Should Register a Vehicle

If you meet any of the below criteria, you must register your vehicle in South Carolina:

  • Have children enrolled in a public school district
  • Established residency in the state
  • Working full time in the state and not maintaining another residence in another state
  • Have been driving a vehicle owned by another person for an accumulated period of 150 days (Absentee Owner)
  • Permanently employed in this state

Note: The Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing Ordinance does not apply to Active Duty Military. 

New South Carolina residents have 45 days to transfer their vehicle registration to this state.

How to Register a Vehicle

New Dorchester County residents must take their vehicle registration from the previous state and/or the vehicle title to the Auditor’s Office, anytime Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, to have their vehicle appraised. When the appraisal has been completed, the resident will then pay the tax at the Treasurer’s Office.  

Residents will then need to take their receipt and proof of SC insurance to the Department of Motor Vehicles to register the vehicle and receive a South Carolina license plate.

For more information about out of state vehicle registration fees and procedures, please contact the Auditor’s Office at (843) 832-0118.