Existing "Single" Private Road
Single private roads may be turned over to the County for maintenance per Dorchester County Ordinance 08-04, which identifies the standards for maintaining existing roads.
A new development or subdivision may turn roads over to Dorchester County for maintenance upon following the proper procedures.
1. The development or subdivision must meet all requirements and regulations, receiving all necessary permits, this is to include but not be limited to:
- Dorchester County Planning Department
- Dorchester County Stormwater Department
- Dorchester County Water & Sewer Department
- Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC)
- Department of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management (OCRM)
2. Upon one hundred percent (100%) completion and passing inspection of the infrastructure, the following items must be submitted to the Dorchester County Public Works Department prior to the recording of the final development or subdivision plat.
- A sidewalk bond at one hundred fifty percent (150%) of completion cost.
- A final layer/lift of asphalt bond at one hundred fifty percent (150%) of completion cost.
- A maintenance bond at seventy-five percent (75%) of completion cost on all infrastructure, to include but not be limited to: all layers and lifts of base & asphalt, sidewalks, drainage systems and pond construction.
- A completed Road Maintenance Acceptance Application.
3. Once the items listed here are met, the applicant/developer may request the “start warranty” period inspection for the Maintenance Liability Period and the Road Maintenance Acceptance Application (RMAA) process to begin. Upon favorable recommendation by the County Public Works Director, the RMAA will go through the proper procedures reaching County Council for the Maintenance Liability Period “start warranty” date.
- One hundred percent (100%) completion and passing inspection of all infrastructure.
- Seventy-five percent (75%) completion and passing inspection of all proposed structures (such as residential homes).
- One hundred percent (100%) completion and passing inspection of the final layer/lift of asphalt.
- Maintenance and Sidewalk bonds in good standing.