The Orangeburg Road Roundabout Project was identified and planned by Dorchester County to reduce travel delays and improve safety at the intersection of Orangeburg Road and West Butternut Road.
The intersection currently experiences congestion and delays during periods of high traffic volumes, such as weekday morning and afternoons. Traffic backs up during these peak periods, forming queues of vehicles waiting to cross the intersection. The intersection also has a history of vehicular crashes occurring. These crashes can potentially be reduced through proper intersection improvements.
Why a Roundabout?
The South Carolina Department of Transportation suggested a roundabout as the safest traffic solution for the area. In national studies, roundabouts have been found to reduce total crashes by 35%, crashes with injuries by 75%, pedestrian crashes by 40% and fatal crashes by 90%.
In order to fund this project, Dorchester County successfully obtained $1.25 million from the South Carolina State Infrastructure Bank (SCTIB) Local Agency Fund, $750,000 from the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) funds and $850,000 in Dorchester County Capital Funds.
Local Public Agency funds are federal or state transportation funds programmed through SCDOT and made available to qualified agencies for specified projects. HSIP funds are Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) project-specific funds administered through SCDOT’s Safety Office.
- October 17, 2017 - Sealed bids opened.
- November 2, 2017 - Dorchester County received construction concurrence from the SCDOT to award the contract to Palmetto Site Services (PSS).
- November 15, 2017 - Notice to Proceed was issued.
- December 4, 2017 - Construction begins.
- December 13, 2017 - 90 Day utility relocation widow began.
- January 17, 2018 - Clearing and Grubbing complete.
- Concept and Surveys: Completed
- Public Information Meeting and Comment Period: 10/16/15
- Right of Way plan submitted on 2/26/16
- Right of Way plan approval on 5/9/16
- NEPA approval on 2/24/16
- Right of Way Acquisitions: June 2016 - ongoing
- Final Plan submittal: December 9, 2016
- Final Plan approval: May 2017
- Utility Relocation: Ongoing
- Project out for Bid: Sealed Bids opened on October 17, 2017.