The mosquito is a known nuisance. However, some mosquitoes can also transmit diseases such as heartworm, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, West Nile Virus and Zika virus.
Mosquitoes must have water to breed. Mosquito species that originate from water-holding containers do not travel far. If you have areas around your yard holding water, you may be breeding mosquitoes.
Any Dorchester County resident who is troubled by mosquitoes may contact the Dorchester County Mosquito Abatement Office by calling (843) 832-0080. An inspector will respond to your request and seek out the cause of the problem.
County residents may also request mosquito spraying via the online form.
How to Protect Yourself
- Stay indoors at dawn, dusk and early evening
- Wear long sleeve shirts and long pants when outside
- Avoid perfumes or other scented products
- Apply insect repellent to exposed skin. Follow directions
- Install screens on any open windows